Stepney Meeting House

“The church being constituted by the mutual consent and agreement of Henry Barton and his wife, William Parker, John Odinsell, William Greenhill, and John Pococke, in the presence of Mr Henry Burton, pastor of a church in London, to walk in all the ways of Christ held out unto them in the Gospel, and having the right hand of fellowship given them by the aforementioned, and owned for all time to time as followeth.”

This was the first entry recorded in the Church Book in 1644, a book that continued in use as the record of the church’s life and membership until 1894.